Residential uses in the commercial zones
There are two commercial zones in the City of Dayton - the Central Commercial Zone and the Fringe Commercial Zone. Before you proceed to the below information, make sure you know your zone by viewing the City of Dayton GIS system.
The intent of the Central Commercial Zone (CC) is to promote and maintain a downtown commercial center having standards of development and permitted uses oriented toward businesses that generate high pedestrian activity. Uses are discouraged that are land consumptive that may diminish the zoning district's compactness and convenience as an integrated shopping and service area. The intent of the Fringe Commercial Zone (FC) is to accommodate vehicular oriented and land consumptive commercial uses in addition to commercial uses generally considered beneficial to the traveling public.
The following residential uses are permitted in the commercial zones in the City of Dayton (note: this use matrix is not all-inclusive to uses permitted in the commercial zones. Please view DMC 11-04.020 for expanded information):
|Development Type||CC Zone||FC Zone|
|Caretaker or business manager unit*||Permitted secondarily to a commercial/primary use||Permitted secondarily to a commercial/primary use|
|Multi-family (three or more units)||Not permitted||Permitted|
|Short-term rental units*||Permitted secondarily to a commercial/primary use||Permitted secondarily to a commercial/primary use|
At least 45% of the main floor adjacent to the street front of the building shall be used for commercial space. The remaining 55% of the main floor area and all other floors may be used for residential purposes.
Pictured: Weinhard Hotel in Dayton, Washington (Central Commercial Zone)Photo credit: Unknown