Code Enforcement

Mission Statement The City of Dayton's Code Enforcement is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for the citizens of Dayton by providing public service in the enforcement of Public Nuisance, Animal Control, Street, Building, and Zoning Ordinances. We are committed to working with both citizens and businesses in a professional and effective manner. Enforcing City codes protects the values and aesthetics of property. What is Code Enforcement? Code enforcement is used for addressing violation of codes and/or public health and safety issues. Code Compliance actions are taken by priority, both proactively and reactively in response to Requests for Action received from citizens. The following are a few of the most common code violations:  Junk Vehicles or Vehicle Parts: Vehicles which are inoperable or wrecked and vehicle parts visible from private or public streets.  Overgrown Vegetation: Accumulation of weeds and/or tall grasses and berry vines.  Household Items: Furniture and appliances intended for indoor use stored or used outdoors. For the purpose of this section, decks, carports and open garages are considered outdoors.  Nuisances: Trash or debris on private property which constitutes any discarded, broken or disabled material including, but not limited to furniture, appliances, discarded lumber or other discarded items that are not in a functioning condition.  Animal Noise: Barking of dog(s) or noise from other animals which limits the use and enjoyment of neighboring properties. Page 10 of 18  Home Businesses: Businesses conducted in a residence must comply with certain conditions of Zoning (DMC 11-03.060) and other city codes.  Residential Parking: Vehicles must be parked on concrete, asphalt or gravel.  Fences: Fences are limited to four feet in height in the front yard for the first 20 feet of the property and six feet in the side and rear yards. How Do I Notify the City of a Possible Code Violation? Complaints can be filed by using the Request for Action Form, and sending it by email, by mail, by fax, or you may come in person and fill out a request form. A completed form must be included with the following information: your name, phone number and address, the exact street address where the possible violation has occurred and specifics regarding the violation before city enforcement officer will investigate.

Code Enforcement Complaint Form

If you have any questions, or would like any further information, for violations of: City Streets, Sidewalks, Animal Control, City Property - Phone: (509) 382-4571 Private Property, Nuisance, Zoning, Critical Areas - Phone: (509) 540-6747 Address: 111 S 1st Street, Dayton, WA 99362 Fax: (509) 382-2539 Email How Is a Complaint Processed? If an ordinance or regulation is being violated, the Code Enforcement Officer will contact the homeowner or tenant in person to discuss the violation. The Officer requests the violation(s) be corrected within a certain time frame. The amount of time depends on the seriousness of the violation. If the property remains in violation the Code Enforcement Officer will issue a Notice of Violation and Order to Abate; or, a civil violation notice of an Infraction. Civil violations are prosecuted as a misdemeanor. If the violation(s) are not corrected, the City may abate the property by removing the violation(s), bill the cost to the property owner and seek recovery of the costs.